Friday, August 28, 2009

Top 10 Burdens and Blessings of Breast Cancer

10. Burden- Fear and Anxiety of finding out you have Breast Cancer at age 42 in both of your breasts.
10. Blessing- Early detection.
9. Burden- Doctors recommend Bi-Lateral Mastectomy with Immediate Breast Reconstruction
9. Blessing- Finding the Best Doctors in Long Island, NY
8. Burden- DIEP Flap Surgery will take 14 hours
8. Blessing - I will wake up with New Breasts and the Cancer removed.
7. Burden- The surgery will require 6 drains. (I will feel like an Octopus for weeks)
7. Blessing- DIEP Flap Surgery will allow for no loss of abdominal muscles, and I will be able to walk around within 3 days of surgery
6. Burden- Huge scar from Hip to Hip
6. Blessing- Finally got rid of the belly fat from the 2 C-sections
5. Burden- I will still need 4 sessions of Chemotherapy, and lost all my hair
5. Blessing- I got to try different wigs and didn't have to shave for months
4. Burden- I will still need 35 days of Radiation
4. Blessing- My hair starts to grow and I am almost done with my treatments
3. Burden- Having to tell my family and friends "I have Breast Cancer"
3. Blessing - Knowing how much your family and friends really love you.
2. Burden - Having to tell my small kids "Mommy is bald because of Breast Cancer"
2. Blessing- Kids are resilient, and love you unconditionally
1. Burden- Numbness of my new breasts
1. Blessing - Having a loving husband who says " I can live without your breasts but I can't live without you"





4 comments:

Unknown said...

Shirley,Let me be the first to say, I am so very proud of you! I remember the first night I met you, I told you that you would get through it all, it's not easy, but you do it. And here you are! One year! I'm 3 years & I can't believe how fast it went by...(maybe time flies when you're on chemo)..You handled it all with such dignity & grace, I commend you! More beautiful than ever & with the strength of a lion! Blessings to you & good luck on your blog! Hope to see you soon. With love, Terrilyn XOXO

Shirley Miliano said...

Thank you Terrilyn. Now I am busy getting a team together for the Oct 18th walk at Jones Beach for ACS for Making strides against breast cancer. My team name is Bosom Buddies. How do you like that? :)

See you soon.
Shirley

PN said...

Shirley,

I am celebrating your courage and faith during this past year and wish you all the best and support on Sunday!

Seeing you in July with the family brought me great joy! Thank you for sharing your life with others by providing this blog. Your list of "burdens and blessing" is truly a RAW expression of your feelings during a moment in your life that took strength and bravery -- NOT focusing on the fear of this disease, but embracing the reality.

This experience touches home for me -- one of my older sisters was diagnosed in her late 30s many years ago...and survived breast cancer twice. She's one of the strongest of my siblings physically and mentally, always have been. Recently, one of my niece was also diagnosed and just completed her treatments.

So, I commend all who have been touch in one way or another - and believe and know that "our" faith will get US through anything if we leave it in God's hands,and watch him work! A CURE WILL HAPPEN IN OUR LIFETIME...BELIEVE IT!

BTW, I love your new "do" -- it brings out your beautiful eyes :-)

Warmest,
Pat Nixon (Pace U)

Shirley Miliano said...

Dear Pat, thank you for taking the time to write in my blog and share your personal story. I also believe that in my lifetime there will be a cure for Cancer. I have great faith in GOD and our doctors.

I am truly blessed to be in the hands of the best doctors and a wonderful circle of family and friends. This disease has changed me to be a better person and a stronger person.

Shirley